Thursday, November 3, 2011

Vox Populi

I am a shy, skittish man at times - no more so than when I am speaking to a large crowd (large being here defined as five or more people). But if I am reading to said crowd, I feel calmer and more in my element. I am connected to the words like an anchor. I have noticed, however, that this is the exact opposite of most people.

The context I am speaking of is my meetings, where people are regularly called upon to read from the Big Book. Rarely have I seen adults who are comfortable in this role. I think it's because for most folks, they have not had to do this since high school English class, reciting Eliot or Shakespeare in that disinterested monotone so beloved by students the world over. Called upon to recite as adults, they stumble, stutter, and hesitate, unsure of their rhythmic footing. They also seem to unable to pronounce certain words which they could probably use in casual conversation without a problem. The biggest offenders?

1. anonymity
2. autonomous
3. regularly

Read these aloud if you have any doubts.

Why the struggle with the public voice? Pressure. Most likely from old fears and social expectations. My advice is to have fun with it. Listen to your voice - no, dance with your voice. It's an instrument of expression. And this is not to say that I recite all my readings like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan, or Sean Connery - though of course I so wish that I could. No, even when I fall flat vocally, I still enjoy it. (Put another way, yes, I do enjoy the sound of my own voice!)

So relax, o speakers and readers! For your voice is buried treasure, here unearthed and strewn at the feet of a awestruck populace!

(No, I don't know where that came from, I'm just having fun...)

1 comment:

CreoleBeBop said...

Well spoken sir!

Some quotes to add to your repertoire

VIVE VOCE
(by the living voice)

VOX ET PRAETEREA NIHIL
(a voice and nothing more)