Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Change In The Wind, Says I

I hate change. I know I'm supposed to be some wild and free, bohemian, groovy, go-with-the-flow, jazzy-jazzy, writer-poet-free thinker, but...I'm really not. Sometimes I am an obstinate, stubborn mofo who wants everything to stay the same: nice and safe and goddamn predictable. I don't want to get off the couch, I don't want to change my clothes, let alone my mind, and I don't want to have to learn contrary habits and actions. Change my Habits?! Are you kidding me? This is a joke, right? I've spent years - years! - sculpting and crafting those habits. And I'm just supposed to chuck them out the window now because they don't work? Call me Bartleby, but I'd prefer not to.

But what happens when you tell the Universe you don't want to change? Everything changes. Your grandmother dies. You have to find a new place to live. You have to get a new job. All your resistance does is place an emergency call to the Tricksters Union (Local 247). Coyote sneaks into your room and pours a bucket of cold water on your head at three in the morning. Eleggua is waiting for you in the alley with a two-by-four to the dome. Hell, Bugs Bunny even gets in on the action and suddenly you look down and realize you're running on thin air. And there's nothing you can do about any of it.

Stopping the flow of change is as impossible as stopping an oncoming wave. And you look just as silly trying.

The upside is that after you've been splashed with water or mugged by a few Tricksters, you get to see what they were really up to. You get to see the world in a new way. Yes, a grandmother leaves, but a niece or nephew shows up. Life is change, change is good, and therefore Aristotle, life is good.

And that is all ye know and all ye need to know.

4 comments:

CreoleBeBop said...

Tricksters. They live among us. Dems the facts and they ain't no getting around it! Ah, but change - what a beautiful psychic tool.

Saw this and thought of you:

Religion is for people who are afraid they'll go to hell. Spirituality is for people who have been there.

captain chaos said...

This is precisely why at the ripe old age of 18 I got a raven tattooed on my shoulder. Ravens on my shoulder make me happyyyyyy! Or was that sunshine?

Roses said...

Oh hon. Yeah, I get that.

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.” Anatole France.

Sometimes, the only way to get through change like you're going through: take deep breaths and small steps. It's going to be good hon, just hang in there.

(and I'm so nicking MITM's quote)

Anonymous said...

Aristoteles. Ethik I guess; arete makes eudaimonia.