Monday, July 25, 2011

HAPPY MOOSEDAY TO ME-E-E-E-E

Thirty-seven years old today. Feeling pretty good about it, too.

To continue with a recent birthday tradition, here is what I have learned in the last three hundred sixty-five days of continuous living:

1. I am responsible for my own happiness, just as I am responsible for own misery. There is no one to blame and there is nothing to forgive in regards to my past. It is all about today and today it is my choice: do I want to be happy, joyous, and free? or do I want to be miserable, discontented, and a slave to my own negativity? I don't need anyone's permission or approval to answer that question. It's completely up to me.

2. I am revising my definition of "cool" (and I'll probably ditch the entire concept as a whole before too long). My old definition of cool was superficial in that it was all about surface appearances - how you look, how you dress, how you talk, where you live, what kind of music/movies/books you like, etc. I have met some very cool people recently and they are not fashionable, hip, or alternative. They are varied in their appearances and interests, and neither of those things define them. What makes them cool is they are self-aware, at peace, and interested in growth and experience. They don't pose, they don't try to look good, and they honestly don't care what I think of them. They are not cool, they are inspiring. That is waaaaay more important to me.

3. Animals can help us heal! I used to laugh at the idea of "therapy dogs", until I saw one happy little dog help a suffering woman more in one afternoon than two years of drugs and therapy. Emotional connection is the key to our mental and physical health. Drugs help sometimes but are not THE solution, they are only part of the solution.

Well, that's all I've got. It's hasn't been a great year, but it's been an important year and I have no regrets. I'm learning a lot, I'm feeling better than ever, and I'm happy today. What more can I ask for?

(Okay, I can ask for more books, as usual...)

5 comments:

savannah said...

yeah for you!!! and nook books work, right? ;~)

happy moose day, #3!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Moose.


This bloke you described in your poem some days ago ... it's important to open the eyes, and to trust the own view; Sehen lernen; one only sees what one knows; emotions, situations, beings, the whole range; and somewhere there is a part of oneself; getting/reaching this glimpse can (I saied: can) be very rewarding. My best wishes, Mr. Moose, and strength and all, trust yerself and open your eyes.

Books? What kind a books? I'm actually reading Fumagalli's Wenn der Himmel sich verdunkelt about the Lebensgefühl in the middle ages, he also wrote about "landscapes of fear".

CiCi said...

Happy Birthday, Mr Moose. You are so young, not even halfway through your life yet. Have a wonderful birthday week or month or however you celebrate it. Personally I take the month, of course it is February so I miss out on a couple days.

captain chaos said...

In the immortal words of one Judge Smails, "You'll get nothing and like it!" Alternately you'll get everything and hate it but what do I know. Happy Birthday and enjoy the emotional and spiritual growth and keep fucking writing! I love you.

Roses said...

Happy Birthday Mr Moose.

I'm so sorry I'm late.

Many, many hugs to you.

Sounds like good wisdom to start another year off.

Hugs to you.