Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cobbled Together From Wire and String

Hi!

Let's see, who am I? Who am I? Hmmm. Okay, I'm a kind man. Except when I'm not. I'm a warm and caring man...except when I'm not. I believe in compassion and easing the suffering of my fellows. Except I don't always do that.

Wow, this Self is hard. Let's see. I really hate when people do Yoda impressions. Especially late at night when I'm tired and just trying to wind down. I'm stretching and yawning and getting ready to end the day and then some jackass starts in with his Yoda voice and it just goes on and on. Then someone else has to chime in with their Yoda voice and the two of them start egging each other on. Then I have to go to my room and shut the door and drown them out with my headphones.

What else have I got? I really like it when people smile at each other. Especially on the bus where everyone seems to wear a blank frown as their default facial expression. Then some abuela gets on the bus and smiles kindly at everyone and a feeling of warm sunshine spreads down the crowded aisles and we all wake up and take notice, like, "Hey - we're all human beings right now!" Or maybe we just all love a smiling abuela.

Building a viable Self is an act of faith and creative writing. I am currently building one with some driftwood I found at the beach, a couple of old notebooks, a pound of coffee beans, a bottle of ink, the Tao, and lots of pipe cleaners, tackling wire, duct tape, and action straps. It's not pretty, but it's mine.

7 comments:

savannah said...

sometimes, i just smile at my own reflection to remind myself that i am.

Roses said...

I get that.

I have to dash, but I'll be back to pontificate later.

Roses said...

I'm back, drinking coffee and in my pink, fluffy dressing gown, so I'm coherent.

I think we're all works-in-progress, with some needing more work than others. I'm prefering to spend time with people who are actively trying. Success isn't of interest, it's the attempt that matters.

Add me on FB if you're on there, be good to chat. x

captain chaos said...

Action straps. Yes. Damn things are fiendishly useful. Damn useful.

Seeing as I can't even piss my name in the snow correctly, how am I ever going to make myself? Perhaps I'll do it in some bizarre pre-language manner. Perhaps not.

I think you should get back in the water soon.

Anonymous said...

Action straps? As in "strap on"? Cable ties work pretty well.

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July my dear!

Mr. Moose said...

Sav: Sometimes I smile at my reflection and it doesn't smile back...nah, just kidding - he's totally into me!

Roses: it is indeed the attempt that matters, I agree.

Cap'n: it's time to return to the sea and the waves. I starting to smell saltwater again. I will be contacting you shortly.

Mago: Action straps are not for that kind of "action", but I appreciate your devious mind.