Friday, February 27, 2009

Would Everybody Please Calm Down?

I'll admit it: my cell phone means very little to me. I haven't connected to it, I don't relate to it, it is not a part of me, and to be honest, I kind of resent it. So every so often, my cellphone and I are separated because I forget to take it with me. Everyone is always surprised by my utter my lack of concern. When I don't freak out and immediately stop what I'm doing to go and retrieve my phone, they are stunned at first. Then worried. No one more so than my father-in-law.

When he discovered that I left it at home (again), he proceeded to give me a ten minute lecture (which I think he had practiced) on the dangers of being without a cellphone. "What will you do in an emergency?!" he challenged. I don't know, maybe use another phone? LIKE WE ALL USED TO DO BEFORE CELLPHONES WERE INVENTED!!!!!!! Sorry for shouting, but does the presence of a portable phone always mean the difference between life and death? My father-in-law is over seventy years old, surely he has not survived this long on sheer luck and the vicissitudes of landlines.

Let's all take a deep breath and step away from the technology for a few minutes. Take your phone out of that dorky holster on your belt, take the earpiece off your head if you're not actually on a call, and let's all calm down. There was a time when people sent letters to each other and did not expect a response for two months. While they were waiting they did things like discover electricity and invent calculus. So I think I will be okay without my phone for a day or two.

6 comments:

savannah said...

well, ok, but when was the last time YOU WROTE A LETTER?

to your parents?
your grandmother?
your siblings?

yeah, yeah...where's your moses now?

Mr. Moose said...

Dear Savannah,

Whatever.

Sincerely,
Fleetwood Coupe d'ville

captain chaos said...

Ha ha! People always think I'm nuts when I tell my assistant I'll fucking fire them if they bring their phones on set but hey, thems the rules. Personally, I'm beginning my quest to get off the grid with bowhunting and then it's on to farming and some advanced carpentry. Mark my words, I'm surviving the coming apocalypse. Wanna come with?

CreoleBeBop said...

I once closed a 3million dollar deal using a telex......so yeah, life can go on.

Pops

savannah said...

ok, now that was funny!

savannah said...

ok, but maybe a blog post or comment?


please?